Monday, November 23, 2009

"are you elder holland?"




saturday evening i quickly ran to barnes & noble bookstore to purchase a gift. i didn't really want to take the energy to go out into public, but decided that i needed to do it at that moment or it just wouldn't get done. i rushed into the bookstore, hoping to take no more than 10 minutes start to finish. i hurried up the escalator and headed toward the children's book section. as i was rushing to the back corner of the store, i noticed a man that looked a lot like elder jeffrey r. holland. it was a side/back view of him so i wasn't sure. i did a quick double take. at second glance i thought to myself, "no, that isn't elder holland. elder holland is taller than that...AND his hair is darker." i'm not really sure why i thought i knew how tall or the exact shade of haircolor elder holland has - but in my mind, i knew. since it wasn't him and since i had a strict time frame to adhere to, i carried on. i had a mission, and i was going to accomplish it as quickly as possible. after a minute of searching, then speaking to a sales associate, i had the book in hand. as i walked around the corner i saw a man sitting on a chair by a book display. with the view of his face, especially his jowls, i realized that elder holland is probably not as tall as i thought he was AND his hair isn't as dark as i thought. i wasn't positive, but i was becoming more certain. he didn't see me, but i saw him. i stopped. a slight inner battle began - do i stop and exchange a few words with an apostle of the Lord (or at least a person i THINK is elder holland) or do i just let him have his peace at the barnes & noble bookstore? i have always thought that i wouldn't bother an apostle if i ran into one of them in public. my logic being, they didn't ask for the title they have, they probably get stopped all the time especially here in utah and it is probably really annoying. i just always figured i would admire an apostle or prophet from a distance if i were to see them. so, after the short inner battle inside my heart and head, i approached the man i thought to be elder holland. i was in such a state of shock, that i didn't realize i was being one of THOSE people. this is kind of how the conversation went:

me: "i'm sure you get this all the time, but are you elder holland?"

man: "i look a lot like him..."

me: (thinking to myself, so maybe it isn't. hmmmm...)

man: (smile on his face) "i am." (extending a hand to shake.)

elder holland: "what is your name?"

me: "erin petersen"

elder holland: "well erin, you're cute as a button."

me: (blusing with a dumbfounded look - something i do well.)

elder holland: "i hope you have a happy thanksgiving."

me: "thank you. you too. we pray for you."

then i smiled, turned and walked away. that was it, my run-in with an apostle of the Lord at the bookstore.

i walked away from the experience just wanting to be a better person. i smiled at more people on my way out. i was more personable to the clerk who helped me check out. i paused to hold the door for somebody. i wanted the world to feel God's love, because i had just felt it. it was really humbling to me to think that elder holland was so pleasant while i was indulging myself by bugging him in the bookstore. he has plenty of important things to do. he is a busy man. if i were him, and people were stopping me all the time, i think i'd be right annoyed. he wasn't though. he was pleasant and kind and reminded me of how we all should be, a disciple of our Saviour at all times and in all places. my encounter with him reminded me of a scripture in mosiah 2:17-18:

"and behold, i tell you these things that ye may learn wisdom; that you may learn that when ye are in the service of your fellow beings ye are only in the service of your God.

behold, ye have called me your king; and if i whom ye call your king do labor to serve you, then ought not ye labor labor to serve one another?"


yes, i think i ought. so, as usual, i need to try a little harder and do a little more. as usual, God is teaching me lessons. as usual, i am stumbling along. and, as usual, God is being patient with me.

5 comments:

Denise said...

AWESOME!!! Thanks for sharing that with me today-you made my day.

Monique said...

Elder Holland is right you are cute as a button. What a cool experience, I love that man!

Brett & Hailey Cahoon said...

Okay, so I'm tearing up. Thanks for your testimony and the story of your run in with Elder Holland. You are such a good person Erin. I was just thinking of you the other day and how you were so good to send letters to people from your mission. I wanted to be that good. I wanted to be just like you. Thanks for being a shining example still. I love you!

Whitney said...

oh man i loved this story! i laughed out loud and hard the warmest feeling come over when he told you that you are as cute as a button! i love him. and i love you, i have tears in my eyes.

i ran into elder perry when i worked down town and we crossed the street together. i had the same inner battle but finally i said, elder perry i went to utah state! i just blurted it out and he said, me too. then he said, are you a true aggie? and i said yes! and we laughed and i said, see you next october.

i love them so much! i wish i would have said i pray for them because i do. you are so smart and wise and i am grateful for your example! love you

Ryan said...

I agree, my sister is cute as a button! :)