Tuesday, August 25, 2009

the lights are on, and somebody's home...


my brother, lance, happened to be in salt lake city this weekend. i loved getting to see him. he stayed at my house on saturday night. he got to my house and went to bed before i made it in. i've been living alone for the past couple of weeks, because both my roommates just got married. when i come home at night, it is usually to a dark, empty house. when i got home on saturday night, i was pleasantly surprised. although lance was not awake when i got there, he had left the porch light and a light inside on. all growing up, my mom and dad used to do this for us. i didn't realize the impact of having somebody who cares for me do something as little as leaving the light on meant. it brought back a flood of warm memories. having a home filled with love and people who care for me is something i always had growing up. i will forever be grateful to my family for providing such an enviroment...and most recently, i'm grateful to lance for reminding me of it.

6 comments:

the hipps said...

That is so cute!

Suzette Willmore said...

what a sweet brother! hopefully we'll see you (and maybe your male friend) at the petersen family reunion in a couple of weeks?

Missy W. said...

that just brought a little tear to my eye :)

geeno said...

what a perfect sentiment - i absolutely love stuff like this - thanks for sharing erin!

Sandy said...

leaving the light was always a big deal for my mom too. i love that lance did that for you. when brian turns the porch light on for me, although such a small gesture, it fills my heart. so sweet.

Kade and Katie said...

i love your home to, such great people who are there....tell them all hi for me! love ya!